This September 30th marks the third annual Day for Truth and Reconciliation, in response to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada’s Calls to Action. This is a statutory holiday at the federal level and in some provinces, but has not been declared statutory in Quebec.
On this day we look to our past, our present, and our future with a critical eye and an open heart. Take time to learn and educate yourself.
Meta Messenger experience
by the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation at the University of Manitoba
the NCTR has partnered with Meta to bring the process of education online. Together, the NCTR and Meta have developed a Messenger experience on Facebook and Instagram that will guide Canadians as they learn about the truths of the residential school system and take action towards reconciliation.
By interacting with the Messenger experience, and content authored by the NCTR, Canadians will discover what they didn’t learn in history class and reflect on the realities that Survivors endured. You can continue your own path towards reconciliation, in both English and French, through Messenger here. On Instagram, go to @nctr_um, choose the “Message” button and type “Get Started” to access the experience.
ACCM encourages its Staff, Members, Volunteers, and community to educate themselves on Canada’s ongoing colonialism. The following resources may also be helpful:
- National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation (NCTR): https://nctr.ca/
- The National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls’ “Calls for Justice”:https://www.mmiwg-ffada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Calls_for_Justice.pdf
- The First Nations Child and Family Caring Society’s Indigenous Knowledge Portal: https://fncaringsociety.com/knowledge-portal
- Indigenous Canada, a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) from the Faculty of Native Studies: https://www.ualberta.ca/admissions-programs/online-courses/indigenous-canada/index.html
- Northern Quebec: Issues, Spaces and Cultures, a MOOC offered in English and French at Université Laval: https://www.ulaval.ca/en/academics/mooc-massive-open-online-courses/northern-quebec-issues-spaces-and-cultures
- Update Your Land Acknowledgement: https://www.dayofpink.org/land-acknowledgement