Kontak; Chemsex Support and Outreach Coordinator
(32 hours per week)
We encourage people living with HIV or hepatitis C to apply for this position as well as the queer, trans, black, indigenous & people of colour communities.
AIDS Community Care Montreal (ACCM) is looking for a Chemsex Support and Outreach Coordinator to join our Kontak team! Kontak (kontak.ca) is a program at ACCM that offers support to the chemsex community through workshops, support groups, and one on one peer support and counseling for those seeking to reduce their consumption of drugs for chemsex (PnP). We are available to talk about HIV and STBBI testing, drug use, chemsex, access to health care, risk, mental health, and the maintenance of a healthy sex life. Additionally, we offer a harm-reduction based distribution service for gay, bisexual and men (cis and trans) who have sex with men (gbMSM) in Montreal, delivering safer sex supplies, toys, and safer drug-use materials.
The Support and Outreach Coordinator will:
- Provide meaningful interventions to gbMSM wanting to talk about sex, drug use and/or partying through facilitating support groups, providing one on one support counseling or co-facilitating a workshop series on chemsex and harm reduction based strategies.
- Promote and conduct Outreach of Kontak services to gbMSM, with a focus on the chemsex community.
- Engage with businesses and partners to provide Kontak presence at sex parties, bars, clubs and other gbMSM spaces where men hang out and cruise, including online hookup apps and social media.
- Liaise with our community. You will assume an active role in our communities to promote harm reduction and access to safer sex and drug-use materials.
- Recruit, train and support volunteers who will be helping in the outreach events.
Our ideal candidate:
- Has strong ties to the gbMSM communities of Montreal.
- Has strong ties with the gbMSM and chemsex community and comfortable going to gbMSM sexualized spaces, including saunas, sex parties, as well as the bars in Montreal’s Village.
- Has demonstrated experience in counselling and intervention; one on one support, groups support and workshop facilitation.
- Has a fervent belief in harm reduction, and a proven history of practicing harm reduction-based interventions.
- Is knowledgeable about sexual health, including fundamental knowledge of HIV, HepC, STBBIs, ACCM, Montreal’s queer and trans communities, drug use, and the social drivers of health.
- Is knowledgeable about safer drug-use and harm reduction strategies. Engaging with people who use drugs does not disturb you. Personal past experience using drugs is an asset.
- Works collaboratively with a diverse group of people and with our alliance partner, REZO.
- You believe in ACCM’s mission and values, Kontak’s programming, and will act as an ambassador for ACCM, REZO and Kontak to our partners and external committees.
- Is comfortable in traveling within central Montreal to conduct delivery of harm reduction materials and conduct outreach (a car is an asset but not mandatory. STM/Car use is reimbursed).
- Can refer to additional services of the alliance orgs or community based programs to Kontak service seekers.
- Fully fluent (written and spoken) in English, and fully conversationally fluent in Spanish for intervention work, workshop facilitation with the spanophone community.
- Can occasionally work scheduled weekends (roughly 17 weekends a year) and nights (as needed for parties and events).
- Performs all other related tasks related to the nature of the position.
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com. Please also provide 2 references.
We look forward to hearing from you by Thursday, February 25, 2021. Only successfully screened applicants will be contacted for an interview. This position is at 32 hours a week and pays $19 per hour.