Queer and Trans Outreach Coordinator
(30 hours per week)
We encourage people living with HIV or hepatitis C to apply for this position.
The same goes for queer, trans, black, indigenous & people of colour. We get you.
AIDS Community Care Montreal is looking for a Queer and Trans Outreach Coordinator to join our team! Within ACCM’s KONTAK** program, the outreach coordinator will provide and enhance sexual health and harm reduction services for queer, trans and gbMSM (gay, bisexual, and men who have sex with men) communities. They will be responsible for creating and maintaining relationships with various community partners, including other service organizations, clinics, and government funding bodies, with a broader mission of expanding ACCM’s services for queer and trans people living with HIV or at risk of HIV transmission.
**KONTAK (kontak.ca) is a harm-reduction support service by and for for trans, non-binary and cis gbMSM in Montreal, delivering safer sex supplies, sex toys, gender-affirming gear, and drug-use materials. We provide information, counselling, and support at events, clubs, and sex parties on topics like sexual health, drug use, chemsex, gender identity, overdose prevention, and more. KONTAK’s mission is to prevent the transmission of HIV, Hepatitis C, and other sexually transmitted and bloodborne infections by empowering individuals with knowledge and non-judgemental support.
The Trans gbMSM Outreach Coordinator will:
- Promote Kontak services to cis and trans gbMSM community members at sex parties, bars, clubs, and other spaces where gbMSM, queer, trans and non-binary folks hang out and cruise, including dating sites and apps;
- Support cis, queer and trans gbMSM wanting to talk about sex, drug use and/or partying;
- Liaise with party organizers, funding partners, and community leaders. You will assume an active role in our communities to promote harm reduction and access to safer sex and drug-use materials;
- Recruit, train and support volunteers who will be helping in queer & trans outreach events.
Our ideal candidate:
- Has strong ties to the queer, trans & non-binary communities of Montreal. You are comfortable in and knowledgeable about MSM and queer sexual spaces, including bathhouses, sex parties, bars and other queer friendly spaces;
- Has demonstrated experience in counselling and intervention. You have a fervent belief in harm reduction, anti-oppression, active listening, and strengths-based practice, and a proven history of practicing harm reduction-based interventions;
- Is knowledgeable about sexual health. You have fundamental knowledge of HIV, HepC, STBBIs, ACCM, GIPA, Montreal’s queer and trans communities, local clinics and services, and the social drivers of health;
- Is knowledgeable about safer drug use and harm reduction strategies. Engaging with people who are drug users does not disturb you. Personal experience using drugs an asset;
- Works collaboratively with a diverse group of people. You believe in the organization’s mission and values, and will act as an ambassador for ACCM to our partners and external committees;
- Is familiar with social and sexual networking apps. WordPress knowledge is an asset;
- Is multilingual, at minimum, fluent in French and English, written and spoken. Spanish is an asset.
Most importantly, we are looking for people who want to gain experience in community work, outreach, chemsex support and sexual health.
Please note that no cover letter is required for this application but two references will be requested in this online form. To apply, upload your CV and tell us about your interest in working with ACCM through the following form: https://forms.gle/oSAt45c2jRPMwRJJ6
We look forward to hearing from you by February 3rd, 2020. Only successful applicants will be contacted for interview. This position is at 30 hours a week and pays $17.00 per hour, $16.50 during probationary period (6 months).